Monday, June 24, 2013

Homemade Laundry Detergent


So let me start off by saying we are on a budget.
That being said, I try to save money wherever I can.
Laundry detergent is so expensive for so little, so I started making my own.

Let me break it down for you.

Washing Soda- $3.24(55oz)
Borax- $3.38(4lbs)
Fels-Naptha- $.97/each
Downy Unstoppables-$6.97(13.2 oz) 
Oxi-Clean-$3.86(1.3 lbs)

Total: $18.42 (at walmart)
*all of this is found on the detergent aisle*
 

I'm not sure exactly how many loads of laundry I can wash with the 4 batches I make but I can tell you that the last time I made 4 batches was in January. And I ran out yesterday, making more today. So Jan-middle of June. You do the math! ;)

What you will need for 1 batch:
1 cup borax
1 cup arm & hammer washing soda (NOT baking soda!)
1 bar of Fels-Naptha soap
1/4 cup of Oxi-clean
1 cap ful of Downy Unstoppables (Aubrey says they smell like rainbows)

(really the last 2 are optional, but why not)
*I make 4 batches at a time, needing 4 bars of soap.

I bought a large glass canister with a lid from Walmart. It cost less than $10. It has worked really well for holding the detergent.

  

First, using a cheese grater, you are going to shred your bar of soap. Be prepared to get an arm workout in here! Who knew you could multi-task! And just a warning, it WILL look like shredded cheese. :)


 
Add this to your canister or whatever you'll be using to store your detergent.
Next add your borax, washing soda, oxi-clean, and downy.


 
Mix everything together. And that's it! Super easy.
You can use 1 tbs per load of laundry. 2 tbs for heavy loads.
 

 
 
 
 


No comments: